2016 Dates: June 3-5, 2016
Location: Westside Sports Complex
201 Isela Rubalcava
El Paso, Texas
The Academy Sports + Outdoors Sun Bowl International Soccer Tournament plays host to over 150 teams from the Southwest and Mexico, making it one of the largest youth soccer tournaments in the country. Boys’ and girls’ teams consisting of specified age groups participate in the tournament every year.
This summer marks the tournament’s 17th year, as thousands of players take to the pitch to play the world’s most popular sport under the bright West Texas sun. The tournament has grown into the premier youth soccer tournament in the region and will continue to be for years to come.
Tournament registration here: https://events.gotsport.com/forms/app/Default.aspx?EventID=51465
2016 ACADEMY SPORTS + OUTDOORS SUN BOWL SOCCER TOURNAMENT RULES
Printable Tournament Rules: 2016 Academy Sports + Outdoors Sun Bowl International Soccer Tournament Rules
We CANNOT make any scheduling accommodations for coaches that coach more than 1 team. If you coach more than 1 team and do not have someone who can coach your other team(s), please DO NOT enter those teams. All game times after scheduling are FINAL.
1. Categories – This is an Unrestricted Tournament that is open to ALL Federation affiliated participants with youth non-competitive and competitive teams. Categories are: non-competitive coed U6 & U8; non-competitive & competitive coed U9: non-competitive & competitive boys & girls U10; competitive boys U11 – U19, competitive girls U12, U14 & U19. If there are not enough teams to field a complete bracket in a specific age category, teams will be moved up to the next highest age category.
2. Application Fee & Deadline – Early bird special fee must be paid on or before Thursday, May 12 – U6–$175; U8 to U12 – $300; U13 to U19 – $350. Entry deadline is Thursday, May 19 Teams will be accepted until a bracket is complete – U6 – $200; U8 to U12 – $325; U13 to U19 – $375. There will be no refunds except for provisions under rule 21.
3. Laws of the Game – FIFA laws shall apply as modified by USYSA and STYSA, except as noted on this document.
4. Registration & Team Eligibility – Register online at www.gotsoccer.com, Each team will consist only of players that are registered in USSF, FIFA or an affiliated league for the 2015-2016 seasons.
Check-in & Requirements – El Paso, Las Cruces & Juarez Area teams check-in will be on Sunday, May 22 between 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Academy Sports + Outdoors Westside store (801 S. Mesa Hills Drive). Only out-of-town teams will be allowed to check-in on Friday, June 3rd between 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. at the Sun Bowl Association office (4150 Pinnacle Street, Suite 100).
Required Items For Check-In-
1. Official league team roster that has been signed and/or stamped by the appropriate registrar
2. Copy of birth certificate or visa’s for ALL PLAYERS
3. Player picture pass cards
4. Signed medical release forms for all players (league player medical release forms will be accepted)
5. Proof of medical insurance, if not registered with a state soccer association
6. Transfer paperwork (if the roster exceeds the four guest players)
7. Travel papers if required
8. Foreign teams must present documentation from your association giving approval for your team’s participation.
5. Roster Size – U6 – 6 total players, boys/girls U8, U9 & U10 – 12 total players; boys/girls U11 & U12 – 14 total players; boys/girls U13-U15 – 18 total players; boys U16, boys U19 & girls U19 – 22 total players. U6 mixed, U8 mixed, U9 mixed, U10 boys/girls & U11 boys – U16 boys teams will be allowed 4 guest players. U19 boys, U12 girls, U14 girls & U19 girls will not have a limit on guest players. U6 will play 3 vs. 3; U8 will play 7 vs. 7; U9-U12 will play 8 vs. 8; U13 – U19 will play 11 vs. 11.
6. Substitutions – U15 and under – free substitutions are allowed. U16 and older are allowed up to six substitutions with referee’s approval at the following times: own throw-in, any goal kick, injury, after a goal, at half-time, as a substitute for a yellow-carded player.
7. Bracket Allocations, Match Schedules and Score Reporting – The tournament format will be determined upon the number of entrants for each age group (three-game guarantee). Due to scheduling, a team may play between 1-3 games each day. All matches will use referees certified by the Federation. Referees will be responsible for turning in all match results, cautions and ejections to the headquarters.
8. Bracket Standings – Bracket standings will be determined by the following point system:
6 points for a win
3 points for a tie
0 points for a loss
1 point for each goal (max 3 per game)
1 point for a shutout
-2 points for each red card
In the event of a tie, bracket winner and runner-ups will be determined as follows:
A. Head to head during bracket play
B. Goal differential (max 3)
C. Goals against
D. Winner will be determined by FIFA penalty kicks
9. Game Lengths – Preliminary games will be shortened by five minutes each half and will have no overtime. Bracket games will be shortened by five minutes each half and will have overtime, if needed. Finals will be full length with overtime, if needed.
U6 Four 8 minute quarters 2 minutes between quarters and 5 minutes between halves
U8 Four 10 minute quarters 5 minute half-time
U9-10 Two 20 minute halves 5 minute half-time
U11-U12 Two 25 minute halves 5 minute half-time
U13-U14 Two 30 minute halves 5 minute half-time
U15-U16 Two 35 minute halves 5 minute half-time
U17-U19 Two 40 Minute halves 10 minute half-time
10. In the event of a tie in a championship game – A winner will be determined by playing a 10-minute overtime. If the teams are tied following the end of that 10 minute overtime then “kicks from the penalty mark as outlined in the FIFA Laws of the Game will be used to determine the Champion”.
11. Should a youth player or coach receive a RED card or get ejected - Player will be ejected from the game and suspended from the next scheduled game. Coaches who receive a red card or get ejected must leave the soccer
complex and may not coach or communicate with the team in any manner; suspended players may sit with the team but may not be in uniform. Two points will be subtracted from the team’s points for each red card. The suspended player pass card will be held at tournament headquarters until the player is eligible to play again. In addition, home leagues and state associations will be notified of the offense as well as the national or provincial association of a player from a team outside the US. A participant that is guilty of fighting will be suspended for the remainder of the tournament. There is a zero-tolerance policy for referee abuse or assault from players, coaches and parents. Individuals who violate this rule will be removed from the tournament venue.
12. Forfeits – Game time is forfeit time, unless unforeseen circumstances occur. The tournament director will make the final decision regarding all forfeits. The minimum number of players required to field a team for U6 is three, U8 is four, U9, U10, U11 & U12 is six and U13 and up is seven. A game that is forfeited will be scored 3-0 and will count towards the three-game guarantee. Depending on the tournament format of that age group a team may advance if they have enough points.
13. Coach’s Responsibilities – The entire team must check-in at the field with the referee 15 minutes prior to their game. All player pass cards will be verified by the referee and kept until the game is completed. Coaches are responsible for team preparation to play at the scheduled time, being on the correct field, for their own substitutions, and for the conduct of their players, bench, friends and spectators at all times. Tobacco, alcoholic beverages, verbal and physical abuse is strictly prohibited. All coaches, players, parents and spectators are subject to removal from the soccer complex for any of these violations. Ineligible players are the coach’s responsibility. Coaches are responsible for cleaning their sidelines. Trash bags will be provided the day of the event and coaches must clean their area immediately following their match.
14. Home Team – Home team will be listed second on the schedule and will take the north or west side of the field.
15. Jersey color conflicts, player credentials, uniforms –
A. Home team is responsible to change on request of the referee.
B. Player picture identification cards are to be present and available to the referee prior to each game at assigned field.
C. Each player must have a visible numbered jersey that matches the jersey number on the roster.
16. Player Equipment – Shin guards are required for all players (no exceptions). No hard or soft casts are allowed.
17. Game Ball – Each team must bring a FIFA approved game ball to be available for use. Ball sizes are: #3 for U6-U8; #4 for U9-U12; #5 for U13-U19.
18. Awards – First place teams will receive a team trophy. Custom medals for first place, second place and third place for U9-U19. All U6, U8, U9 & U10 non-placing teams will receive participation medals. Each player and two coaches (per team) will receive a tournament gift.
19. Protests and Disputes – Decisions by field officials (Referee) are FINAL. Protests and disputes will be allowed for questions of player eligibility and tournament rules. All protests must be filed by the coach in writing within 30 minutes of the conclusion of your match. A protest form can be obtained at the tournament headquarters. A $100 (cash ONLY) protest fee will be required (refundable if protest is won). The protest/dispute will be reviewed by the tournament director and the decision will be final.
20. No player shall play with more than one team during the tournament - Any player found participating with more than one team will be removed from the tournament and all games played with both teams will be forfeited.
21. Cancellation – The tournament director reserves the right to make the following changes in the event of inclement weather or other disruptions beyond the control of the tournament staff: 1. Relocate and/or reschedule a match, 2. Reduce scheduled duration of a match, 3. Decide a match by penalty kicks, 4. Cancel a match, 5. To cancel the remainder of the tournament. The Sun Bowl Association, Academy Sports + Outdoors or any other sponsors associated with the tournament shall not be held responsible for expenses incurred by any team or club if the tournament is cancelled in part or in whole. In the event of inclement weather, the tournament director will make a final decision that will complete the tournament safely and fairly. If the tournament is cancelled prior to June 3, 2016 all soccer entry fees will be refunded within one month.
22. Tobacco, alcoholic beverages, verbal and physical abuse is strictly prohibited. – All coaches, players, parents and spectators are subject to removal from the soccer complex for any of these violations.
23. Location of the Academy Sports + Outdoors Sun Bowl International Soccer Tournament –
Westside Sports Complex at 201 Isela Rubalcava Boulevard, El Paso, Texas 79932
2016 ACADEMY SPORTS + OUTDOORS SUN BOWL INTERNATIONAL SOCCER TOURNAMENT
Teams shall be comprised of players who are born on or after August 1, of the previous seasonal year:
1. Under 19 years of age (born on or after August 1, 1996)
2. Under 18 years of age (born on or after August 1, 1997)
3. Under 17 years of age (born on or after August 1, 1998)
4. Under 16 years of age (born on or after August 1, 1999)
5. Under 15 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2000)
6. Under 14 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2001)
7. Under 13 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2002)
8. Under 12 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2003)
9. Under 11 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2004)
10. Under 10 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2005)
11. Under 9 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2006)
12. Under 8 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2007)
13. Under 6 years of age (born on or after August 1, 2009)
Los equipos serán comprendidos de jugadores que son, al la medianoche del 1ero de agosto, del año estacional previo:
1. Bajo 19 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 1996)
2. Bajo 18 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 1997)
3. Bajo 17 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 1998)
4. Bajo 16 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 1999)
5. Bajo 15 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2000)
6. Bajo 14 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2001)
7. Bajo 13 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2002)
8. Bajo 12 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2003)
9. Bajo 11 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2004)
10. Bajo 10 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2005)
11. Bajo 9 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2006)
12. Bajo 8 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2007)
13. Bajo 6 años de edad (nacido el 1 de agosto de 2009)